Proofreading is the final task that is used for producing any written piece of work. Whether it is for a big or small business or web content or for any other presentation word, you definitely need to proofread this well before sending it for publishing. This service of proofreading is availed specifically by those who are related to the world of academics- students, teachers, research scholars or writers. The process through which their work is check is called academic proofreading. Most of the time, they do not have the time and proper knowledge of organizing, formatting and editing to carry out this task. There have been many companies that appoint proofreaders for this purpose. The persons who need it can edit their dissertation, journal articles, research papers, lectures and notes with the help of this service. For this, they seek the help of professional proofreaders who does the work for them.
Since this is a matter of career, one needs to hire proofreaders who have certain qualities. Below are listed some of these.
- It would be better to go through the previous approved work samples by the proofreader.
- If possible, check the feedback of the clients with whom he or she has worked earlier.
- The proofreader should also possess good knowledge about the subject of your document. One cannot edit and proofread a work unless he or she has a clear idea about what you are working on.
- Those who are expert in English and has good mastery over the construction of the language. Otherwise he or she would not be able to carry out the work of English proofreading. Sometimes it might also happen that the proofreader needs to substitute a word of phrase. Without knowing and fluent English, one cannot do this. However, in this regard it should be mentioned that it is not mandatory for an academic proofreader to be a graduate in English only. There can be good proofreaders from other disciplines as well.
- Academic proofreading works can be carried out by those who themselves have good academic records and they also have good knowledge of computer. Otherwise this would not be a possible task for them.
- A good academic proofreader should be aware of all the referencing styles along with the ways to quote and insert footnotes and endnotes properly in a document.
- It is the duty of an academic proofreader to keep himself or herself updated with the current trend in the market. The requirements of a person vary on the basis of current things and the prevailing structure of curriculum across the globe. Thus the proofreader should be dynamic in nature.
- Commitment and honesty are two other qualities which a proofreader should definitely have since it is the matter of career for many.
Thus, these are some of the qualities a person must have in order to be an academic proofreader. Once all these requirements are met, the task can be easily trusted upon the proofreaders and best result can also be assured.
About the Author:- Amit Jaiswal is a Internet Marketing professional , Freelancer & writer who loves write Technology , Business etc. He is also Google Adwords Certified Professional who teaches Digital Marketing Course covering SEO, SMO & PPC.