Whenever dangerous goods are being shipped, it is important that the right containers are used for the purpose. If the goods are not correctly secured, there are chances of spillage and potentially an adverse effect on the surroundings. Therefore, there are specialized containers for hazardous items. If you want to ship some chemicals, medicines or some fragile items then you need to be very careful about it, and you must pack these materials in a perfect way to ship overseas. Even if you want to ship them locally then also you need to use the same containers and you must maintain the safety measurement for this shipment.
What are the features of dangerous goods containers?
- Plates and Signage: You must have seen a lot of signs on certain containers showing “hazardous” or “handle with care”. These signs and plates are extremely important. While the regular containers need not have these, the dangerous goods containers need to have these so that anyone handling these is careful about transporting them. So, when you choose the containers for your dangerous goods you need to check this signage.
- Weatherproof Vents: If the material being transported is reactive to certain kinds of chemicals or atmospheric gases, the container has to be able to keep out the unwanted elements as well. Containers used to transfer dangerous goods have weatherproof vents that can keep out the unwanted element and keep safe the contents of the container. Apart from that, these waterproof vents can protect your products from humidity level.
- Painted Yellow: Most of these containers are painted yellow. It is a universal code for containers carrying hazardous items. It does not mean that every yellow container is used for dangerous goods. This marking, signage and colors are decided as per the state norms, and people should follow the safety measurement prescribed by the local and state authority.
- Steel Flooring: These containers must be very sturdy and hence steel welded flooring is used for such containers. This ensures that when the containers are being moved around or placed on top of each other, the bottom is secured and there will be no breakage even if there is a jerk or extra pressure on the container.
- Non-Spark meshes covering: Such containers need to have special flooring so as to ensure that any kind of sparks or fire can be avoided. In most containers, industrial grade non-spark is used.
- Steel Carcass: Most containers are used to transfer materials across long distances. These are stacked upon each other and throughout the journey can suffer severe jolts and jerks. To ensure that the container can withstand the extreme pressure and force, a steel carcass becomes an important element of the dangerous goods containers.
- Complex Locking mechanism: While dangerous contents need to be protected from weather. They also need to be protected from theft as well. Hence it is important that the containers have a complex locking and security mechanism. Double locks with different mechanisms are a common feature for such containers. This ensures that even if people with unauthorized access can reach the container, they will not be able to open it with ease.
Such containers are now used for a wide variety of items. You can see their usage for items like paints, oils, chemical, fuel, inflammable substances etc. Most of the hazardous items are divided as per a certain class. Depending on the potential danger of the item, it allotted to a specific class. So you need to choose the containers according to your needs and according to the nature of your products only. In this regard, you can contact the container manufacturer and they will assist you with all possible ways.